On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, Marty Adkins wrote:

|->As Priscilla explained, output drops are frequently normal, just
indicating
|->a speed mismatch combined with a large enough packet burst that the output
|->queue limit was exceeded (40 packets).  If drops are due to a lack of
buffers,
|->then that would happen on input, not output, and the counter "no buffer"
|->would be incrementing.

Output drops here are due to rate-limit output  on one interface.

|->For an ISP or border router, CEF will help a lot since the route-cache is
|->pre-built, rather than demand based.  With the latter, lots of short-lived
|->flows to lots of destinations cause the first packets of each flow to be
|->process-switched.  And there's far less cache maintenance or churn.  CEF
|->also works fine with netflow and policy routing.

we use ip route-cache policy on each interface that is has policy routing
enabled. I'm trying to find out how route-cache correlatets to CEF. Does
ip route-cache policy need to be turned off when CEF is enabled? How is
it it different than CEF? The two seem to be interchangable and on reading
stuff on CCO about CEF there is a command:

ip route-cache cef

oh wait a minute, I can use ip route-cache policy to do just the policy
routing, or use ip route-cache cef.

Any idea on which is better?

Thanks
Keith