From: The Long and Winding Road
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 24 November 2002 04:37
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CCIE requirement: full time networking? [7:57936]

""richard dumoulin""  wrote in message
> Hal Logan wrote:
> >
> > Not to discourage you or anything, but if a candidate crams for
> > months and then immediately forgets everything after the lab, that's

> > an indication the
> > he or she got by using primarily short-term memory. I
> > personally don't think
> > it's possible to get through the lab unless you make extensive
> > use of your
> > long term memory.
>
> Here I have to disagree. In my opinion you don't need memory at all
> but understanding. If you understand networking at a high level, then
> everythings come without effort, the commands etc ...
>
> my 2 cents.

CL: Respectfully, I disagree with you to an extent. Perhaps it's just a
matter of interpretation on my part. But having been there twice my
belief based on those experiences is that you have to "know" the
configurations. It really is a bit of lengthy memorization, IMHO.

CL: take my OSPF interfaces. please!  ( OK, sorry ) but "understanding"
isn't really enough. You have to be moving your fingers as you read the
Lab requirement. when the frame relay requirement for router 1 is "one
subinterface connects to routers 2 and 3, and another connects to router
4" you have to "know" all the implications and be typing them without
"thinking". OK. Maybe we disagree on the meaning of "understanding" Or
maybe I've configured so many examples that my memory is in my fingers.

CL: the other day, someone asked whether or not BGP would run over an ip
unnumbered link. I "understood" the answer to be yes. I "knew" the
answer to be yes. For the Q&D lab I created to prove the point, though,
I just banged out the configs, including the neighbor rebgp multihop
command and the static route command required on each router.
"understanding" or just the fact that I've done enough of these things
that is is second nature now?

CL: that's why I suggested that the keys for success are 1) the
identification of the core topics, 2) the study plan, which includes
covering and reviewing all of these core topics at least once every two
weeks, and 3) practicing speed of execution.

CL: note that I am not saying you are wrong. There are many ways to
prepare. It's just that I believe the key is in the fingers, not in the
intellect.

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.