The Long and Winding Road wrote:

> ""Symon Thurlow""  wrote in message
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Looking for some feedback as to how difficult it would be to
> pass the
> > CCIE lab if networking was not your primary role.
>
> probably slightly more difficult than if networking were your
> primary role.
> seriously. just because you are a full time net engineer
> doesn't mean that
> in your daily work you cover the depth and breadth of CCIE Lab
> topics on a
> regular basis. production networks, one would hope, are stable
> entities. one
> it is up and working, you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot.
>
> I believe anyone who has been through the CCIE Lab will agree -
> it is
> unlikely you will ever find a production network quite like the
> Lab. ;-)
>

> > For instance, I am a bit of an IT generalist, networking
> probably takes
> > up 30% of my time. I don't feel confident that only working
> this much
> > with Cisco devices would enable me to retain enough knowledge
> to pass
> > the lab.
>

> that's why NLI came into being. That's why FatKid and IPExpert
> and Hello
> Computers are around. You need decent theoretical background,
> but mostly you
> need hands on practice with a number of complex scenarios so
> you can get
> used to configuring difficult requirements under sever time
> pressure.
>

> > I know that it is possible to cram for months and then
> possibly pass,
> > but it is sort of pointless if you forget it a couple months
> later
> > (IMHO).
>

> that's why you decide to put in 15-30 hours a week study time.
> Reading.
> Labs, etc. That;s why you have a study plan. That;s why you
> identify the
> core topics and devote some time every week to covering them.

Chuck, the methodology you propose sounds interesting but I am not sure I
understand "identify the core topics". Could you explain that and put me on
the right way ? Give some examples ?
Do you mean BGP, FRelay etc ... How can anyone identify the core topics
without having been exposed to the exam ?

Regards.