""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote
> I may be starting a new project doing some writing about
> technologies used in enterprise networks. (read not service
> provider)
>
> Do I need to cover IS-IS? Or is it mainly ISPs that use this?

I've never seen IS-IS in Enterprise networks, only ISP
backbones and CODCN's (Central Office Data
Communications Networks) that implement OSI stacks on
network elements.  The primary reason I've heard (I'm an
IS-IS fan working in the Enterprise), that also happens to
be a sort of compelling argument - is that OSPF and
EIGRP work better through firewalls.  I believe that IS-IS
is significantly less complex than OSPF or EIGRP, and
therefore, easier to train/learn, implement, manage, etc.

> How about MPLS? I should discuss it briefly, but aren't
> the main users of MPLS ISPs, not enterprise networks?

I've only seen MPLS in ISP networks, but could be used
in Enterprise, especially simple VRF concepts (from
MPLS VPN's).  I could see many reasons that Enterprises
could use even static route VRF's for various useful purposes
on occasion, but even that is a rarity.  Of course, I'm also of
the opinion that MPLS doesn't really belong in SP networks
either - so YMMV.  MPLS-TE is still being argued among
the SP network guru's.  MPLS FRR (Fast Re-Route) is an
important network protection and resliency technology and
should be researched, tested, and implemented when the
need arises for it (including for Enterprises).

> Anyone using GARP? That's on my list to research too.

GARP, as in Multicast?  Many Enterprises are using
Multicast, but their use can vary depending on the
company (could be for reliable multicast like TIBCO, or
could be for live broadcasting sending/receiving, or
research, or many other technical/business reasons).
Understanding the basics is good, but it's hard to cover
all the advanced topics in IP Multicast because it's such
a point application as it is already.

> Alas, I have a lot to learn. Thank-you VERY much
> for answering these quick questions.

You will probably want to look at this from a specific industry
perspective, i.e.:

High-Tech Manufacturing / Hardware/Software Engineering
Pharmaceuticals
Automotive, Consumer Goods
Government / Political / Federal vs. State/County/City
Defense / Military / Aerospace
Education
Banking / Securities / Financials / Real-Estate
Insurance Companies
Entertainment
Retail
Health Care
Hospitality / Transportation
Energy

Certain companies have totally different needs technology-wise...
in particular, some business build networks without latency in mind
because they are a state-wide organization, or even a city-wide
organization.  Some companies have networks that span the globe,
and some have the same type of need in a mission-critical way.
There are many technologies that apply to certain companies and
not others.

For any large Enterprise that relies on IT to be mission-critical,
figure that the cost of IT downtime is significant (Meta Group
2001 report shows $1.5M per hour of downtime).  IT relies on
the Internet for growth and technology.  Data centers, especially
Internet data centers are the key point to any IT infrastructure.
The primary technologies in these environments are rapidly
shifting.  Many organizations are now required to, or at the very
least are planning to, add more than one primary data center for
100%, near-instantaneous continuous operation / disaster
recovery.  You will see this in the High-Tech industry because
of maturity, and you will see it in the Government/Defense
industries because of things like the Homeland Security Act
(signed November 25th, 2002).  The same Meta group report
shows that 70-75% of mid- to top-tier applications will be
distribued across at least two data centers by 2003.  I got this
information from:
http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/networkers/presentations/NSC-284_Reiner_Dre
sbach.pdf.gz

Because of the need for distributed data centers, technologies
such as:

BGP-4 (and therefore IP address management/globalization,
 as well as Peering and Carrier-Neutral co-location)
Content Networking (RHI, E-CDN, DNS/HTTP-routing)
Optical Networking (DWDM, Optical Ethernet, RSTP)
Virtual Private Networking (to include Site-to-Site VPN,
 Remote Access User VPN - both over the Internet and on
 private networks, as well as CE MPLS VPN)
Security (I see this more as host security, then network
 security, but YMMV)

will become increasingly important for Enterprises.  More
importantly, they will want to increase availability and
performance of 3-tier applications (front-ends, application
servers, and database servers), while also making them
global and distributed.  This will have a very serious impact
on the networking technologies and industry best practice
methods.

Also big for Enterprises will be technologies that represent
significant ROI with quick and easy Break-Even points, etc.

i.e.:
IP Telephony (SIP, Unified Messaging, CallManger, Unity)
Network Management / OSS / Automation

3-Tier Applications are really big in large Enterprises, and
there are only a few current methods of implementing them.
IBM - pSeries (AIX/Linux) + Websphere + DB2
Sun - Ultra (Solaris) + BEA WebLogic + Oracle 9i
Microsoft - HP or Dell (NT server) + .NET + MS SQL

Some people do multi-vendor mix 'n match, but that is the
general idea.  What's even funnier is look at this model:

Largest Enterprise (Fortune 500) -> IBM
Other Large Enterprises -> Best Practice (Sun+BEA+ORA)
Enterprise businesses -> Cheapest (Microsoft+Dell)

The nice thing about being a Network engineer is that you are
often stuck with Cisco (only other choices are really Juniper,
Foundry, Extreme, Riverstone - who don't have solutions,
only point products), but any basic Cisco network will nicely
support any of the three most popular 3-tier application
niches (or any variant).  The network requirements don't
change, so it's much easier to sell/implement/fund/support/etc.

Do a search on CCO (logged in with a customer account)
for "SRND" and read all those PDF's.  You will see what an
Enteprise might need today.  In reality, these technologies are
going to represent significant cost savings for Enterprises,
however, they will have to consider that more spending will
occur in the short-term (CAPEX often leads to lower
future OPEX), but many businesses are especially thinking
about long-term viability in this current economy (funny how
things work that way).  The ROI on IP Telephony alone can
represent such significant savings, it's very logical for
Enterprises to move to all sorts of complex networks that
require new business units to build and support (yet that
still manage to consistently meet break even points, etc).

What is it that you are working on?

- dre