""dre""  wrote in message
> ""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote
> > I may be starting a new project doing some writing about
> > technologies used in enterprise networks. (read not service
> > provider)
> >
> > Do I need to cover IS-IS? Or is it mainly ISPs that use this?
>
> I've never seen IS-IS in Enterprise networks, only ISP
> backbones and CODCN's (Central Office Data
> Communications Networks) that implement OSI stacks on
> network elements.  The primary reason I've heard (I'm an
> IS-IS fan working in the Enterprise), that also happens to
> be a sort of compelling argument - is that OSPF and
> EIGRP work better through firewalls.  I believe that IS-IS
> is significantly less complex than OSPF or EIGRP, and
> therefore, easier to train/learn, implement, manage, etc.

I've seen ISIS used by enterprises on occasion.

ISIS has more tuning parameters and more extensibility than OSPF.  It also
has significantly more scalability than OSPF.  I dislike EIGRP precisely
because it's inner-workings are closed.

> > How about MPLS? I should discuss it briefly, but aren't
> > the main users of MPLS ISPs, not enterprise networks?
>
> I've only seen MPLS in ISP networks, but could be used
> in Enterprise, especially simple VRF concepts (from
> MPLS VPN's).  I could see many reasons that Enterprises
> could use even static route VRF's for various useful purposes
> on occasion, but even that is a rarity.  Of course, I'm also of
> the opinion that MPLS doesn't really belong in SP networks
> either - so YMMV.  MPLS-TE is still being argued among
> the SP network guru's.  MPLS FRR (Fast Re-Route) is an
> important network protection and resliency technology and
> should be researched, tested, and implemented when the
> need arises for it (including for Enterprises).

True, MPLS is rarely used in the enterprise, although again, I have seen it
on occasion.

I am convinced that MPLS will indeed become the next big thing in SP's, but
not the flavor of MPLS the way it is constructed now.  In particular, I see
RFC2547 and MPLS-TE as being only minor considerations in the future for
MPLS implementation (granted, they are the major reasons now).  Instead, I
think that MPLS will ultimately morph into a generalized technology by which
providers will be able to offer a complete range of services and features
using a unified (dare I say 'converged'?) network.  In particular, the day
that MPLS can offer a complete range of ATM/FR/voice services without
forcing a wholesale migration to IP from legacy gear is the day that
widespread MPLS migration will occur.   Anticipation of this has already
occurred - providers are now unwilling to invest in legacy ATM gear because
they are hoping that MPLS will be fully baked in the next few years.    MPLS
will also, through its GMPLS offshoot, be able to offer important network
management advantages.

Therefore, sorry to say it, but I see things like RFC2547 and MPLS-TE as
only sideshows to the 'real' MPLS initiatives - ATM interworking,
circuit-emulation style technologies like the Fischer draft,  GMPLS, and the
like.   RFC2547, in particular, I see as a quite dangerous sideshow because
of its implication to BGP scalability and stability.

> > Anyone using GARP? That's on my list to research too.
>
> GARP, as in Multicast?  Many Enterprises are using
> Multicast, but their use can vary depending on the
> company (could be for reliable multicast like TIBCO, or
> could be for live broadcasting sending/receiving, or
> research, or many other technical/business reasons).
> Understanding the basics is good, but it's hard to cover
> all the advanced topics in IP Multicast because it's such
> a point application as it is already.

GARP is not widespread at the moment.

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/networkers/presentations/NSC-284_Reiner_Dre
> sbach.pdf.gz

That's a nice summation of where technology is going.  But I would add that
you shouldn't fixate yourself on the Internet.  Technologies are converging
towards IP, but not necessarily the Internet, nor should it.  After all,
let's face it, the Internet as a whole is a money sink, especially to the
provider.  Few carriers in the world have actually figured out how to make
profit off the Internet and there are few if any truly credible ways I've
seen that allow the carriers to ultimately make profit.  Therefore,
according to the laws of corporate finance, there will be less and less
investment by carriers in Internet infrastructure (notice that I didn't say
IP infrastructure, I said Internet infrastructure).   Makes perfect sense
too - if you kept losing money at something, would you keep doing it?
Therefore I can see a world where the Internet itself becomes less and less
reliable over time - certainly not something you would entrust the operation
of your enterprise.

Instead, what I think we'll see is the rise of large-scale private IP
networks that are not connected to the Internet (or at least, shielded from
the Internet via superfirewall/superNAT's/superproxies), and these networks
will be the basis for offering services like disaster recovery, storage,
voice, and the like.  It is only with private IP networks that you will be
able to offer the kind of quality-of-service, security, and privacy that
enterprises want (and get today via ATM/FR/leased-line services which,
unlike the Internet, are actually profitable).