Agreed. They do have a way to map additional ports to
the pre-defined services though. So for telnet for
example you can add port 233, 2333, etc so when you
specify 'telnet' in an ACL (or similar list) it
matches port 23, 233, and 2333.

Whats weird is I was looking at this yesterday, and
for some ACL stuff the keyword is http and for other
stuff it is www. I'm sure theres other keywords that
mean the same as others but thats the one I noticed.
Then again i don't port-map matches up to all the ACL
keywords, I think it matches up against some other
security features. I've used it for telnet in ACLs
though with no problems in past.

I guess consistency with port #s and service names
would be a good thing. Maybe it would be nice if they
didn't hardcode these in IOS but referenced a services
file on the flash that could be editable  like in most
OS's. I think this may happen... it seems they are
starting to clean up IOS and get rid of old protocols
and modularize stuff so it uses similar syntax. MQC
for example.

--- Priscilla Oppenheimer

http://mailplus.yahoo.com