At 8:27 AM +0000 12/16/02, Munit Singla wrote:
>Hi ,
>There default ports given in the IOS .We can use both to refer those
>ports by names as well as port numbers .Can we customize it and to the
>defaut list ports by names not by numbers. or I want to use it use
>customized ports used for my applications by names in my access list.
>Is there any command to create customized ports by Name.
>See what my problem is when we make an extended access lists we can
>define source and destination ports.there is standard list of ports
>there to be used in access list that we can use by number or name.If we
>want to customize the port according to our default application we can
>add that port by number only.Is there a way to refer those ports by
>names in my access list.and can we add these customized TCP/UDP ports in
>the default list which is displayed, so that we can refer it when ever
>we like in our access-lists by name.
>Example:
>access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq Nortonvirus
>Here Nortonvirus keyword should refer to the port 5000. and this name
>and port mapping should get added to the default list so that i can
>refer later.here I am assuming nortons application is using port number
>5000.

This is one of the reasons why I keep my configs on a server,
preferably UNIX.  It's a trivial matter to define Nortonvirus as a
macro string when you write a config, which then runs through a macro
processor before the configuration goes into the router by TFTP or
Telnet.  The macro processor will substitute whatever you've told it
-- once -- what "Nortonvirus" maps to.

In like manner, you can write your standard passwords, access lists,
etc., as macros.  The configurations you actually read and write (as
a human) become much easier to follow.