I've done exactly this on the 2900 and 4000 platforms but as discussed
only certain cards for the 4000 support ISL.

The reason i used it was ISL to the routers and dot1q to clients.

This is because on a router sub-interface SNMP ID's are only created for
ISL so in order to monitor individual subints on the router it had to be
ISL.

Otherwise everywhere else we use standards dot1q.

Darren Ward
(PGradCS, CCIE #8245, SCSA, CCDP, MCP)