The Long and Winding Road wrote:

> ""chris kane""  wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Happy Holiday to all.
> > >
> > > I have some question that I would like to ask the group
> regarding OSPF,
> > > Fragmentation and MTU working together.
> > >
> > > I have a home lab where OSPF is running find over
> frame-relay hub and
> > spoke
> > > configuration.  The problem occurs when I tried to fragment
> traffic so
> > that
> > > Voice traffic will pass through the frame relay incase of
> congestion/or
> > > large traffic.  So I decided to implement a Frame Relay
> Class with
> > > frame-relay fragment 64 (since most Voice traffic is 64).
> Now when I
> > enter
> > > this command, I notice that I lose connection with Spoke
> router.  I
> can't
> > > even ping.  So I enter the following command MTU 67 under
> Serial inter
> > face
> > > 0/0.

That's weird. Ping should have still worked with an MTU of 64. It's only 20
bytes of an IP header and 8 bytes of ICMP, if you don't add data. Probably
your ping tool defaulted to adding data, but you could have changed that.

> So it works find for pining and tcp connection but I
> lose OSPF
> > > Neighbor connection.

That makes sense. The neighbors have to agree on MTU, as others have said.

> > In order for OSPF neighbor relationships to form, MTU must
> match. This was
> > troubling to me a while back when I first started digging
> into OSPF. OSPF
> > has hello packets with certain parameters that must match.
> The troubling
> > part is that MTU is not one of those requirements. Rather,
> the MTU must
> > match issue gets introduced in the OSPF Database Description
> packet.
> > Interface MTU is part of this packet and therefore it is here
> that you'll
> > see your problem arise. I suspect that you are probably
> seeing everything
> > fine at the onset of the neighbor relationship and then when
> they begin to
> > share their database description packets, it breaks.
>

> this brings up two aspects to me. one of "the standard" and one
> of design.
>
> Obviously, in practical terms, the OSPF standard calls for
> things that may
> or may not be practical in real world. So there are hacks, some
> of which are
> define, some of which are proprietary.
>
> virtual link is a defined hack. MTU appears to be proprietary.
>
> the design part come in, IMHO, because of situations like the
> original
> question raises.  Probably a better solution than futzing with
> MTU is to
> initiate QoS features such as CBWFQ or LLQ.

Using QoS features instead of futzing (to use your term ;-) with MTU sounds
like good advice. You only need to futz with MTU if serialization delay is
an issue, and it's not an issue on high-speed interfaces. What speed is this
interface?

>From a philosophical point of view, since Chuck kind of took us into that
realm ;-), I would say that if you mess with a parameter and it wrecks
something as fundamental as your routing protocol, then you probably
shouldn't be messing with it. The other side of the coin might be, however,
that a routing protocol that can get messed up by a change in a paramter to
support a particular application is on shaky grounds to begin with.

This may fit into the Simplicity Principle mentioned in RFC 3439!

Priscilla