At 8:24 PM +0000 12/28/02, The Long and Winding Road wrote:
>""chris kane""  wrote in message
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  > Hi
>>  >
>>  > Happy Holiday to all.
>>  >
>>  > I have some question that I would like to ask the group regarding OSPF,
>  > > Fragmentation and MTU working together.

There is a subtlety here, which may be getting hidden by the fact
that labs and the test facility are mostly or completely routers,
rather than hosts.  If you think about it, the proper place to limit
MTU (other than for medium conversion) is not on the router, but on
the host. Admittedly, not all hosts have the ability to set their MTU.

There is a TAC guide for altering host TCP/IP parameters, but for
some obscure reason, it's buried under OSI Application Services:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk472/tk473/technologies_tech_note09186a008011a218.shtml

Another subtlety is that there can be very good reasons either to
have different control and forwarding paths. I need to check into the
details, but one approach might be to leave the basic MTUs at 1500 or
so, but limit the MTU on MPLS or other tunnels such that host path
MTU discovery gets a limit on data MTU size.

A non-scalable (in the core) way to do things would be to policy
route based on protocol type and associated MTU. Routing traffic gets
handled differently than data traffic -- that's inherent in the IP
precedence field, where the top two levels are reserved for control
traffic.