Hello, I have a question about configuring a new VLAN. This is the
situation:

I would like to configure and activate a new management VLAN in a cisco 2950
switch. The switch to be configured is only reachable via telnet. The switch
has IP address 192.168.0.1/24. This address is assigned to the default VLAN
1.

To configure this switch I choose to connect to a CDP neighbour switch with
my console cable. This switch has IP address 192.168.0.2/24 assigned, also
to VLAN 1. The two switches are situated in the same IP-network and can ping
eachother. From the switch to which I have a serial connection I start a
telnet session to the switch to be configured. I add the new management VLAN
which will be VLAN 2 and set an IP address on VLAN2: 10.255.0.1

So far so good.
I run a "show run" and see that both VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 have an IP address,
192.168.0.1 and 10.255.0.1 respectively. I also notice that the newly
configured VLAN 2 is "shutdown". Running a "no shutdown" on the VLAN 2
interface doesn't help much. The interface stays shutdown. My guess is that
VLAN 1 has to be shutdown before I can "no shutdown" VLAN 2. Shutting down
VLAN 1 means I will lose my telnet connection to the switch and then I
cannot get back in again via telnet.

What to do in this case?

Rutger