you are correct to assume that you have to disable
vlan 1 before before you can enable vlan 2....

you are also correct that the instant that you shut the
vlan 1 down you will disconnect the connection on your telnet..

you should be able to telnet thru the network to the switch if you
have a subnet for the 10.x.x.x network config'd on the router and a port
on the switch assigned to vlan 2 connected to the 10.x.x.x subnet on
the router....

Larry Letterman
Network Engineer
San Jose Transport