It could be a bug or it could just be that FTP is a huge pain to get working
with NAT and firewalls due to its behavior. Firewalls at either end,
including a personal firewall on the end system, can wreak havoc. Changing
to passive might help because then the server doens't try to open a session
from port 20 to the client's chosen port. But passive might not work either
because then the client opens a session from a not-well-known port to the
server on a not well-known port.

And then there's the whold yuckiness of the FTP commands that have an IP
address in them which NAT has to fix.

Of course, a stateful firewall and NAT implementation should handle all
this, but it's a lot for them to do and some of them don't do it right.

Some commonly-used FTP implementations set the IP address in the PORT
command to 0.0.0.0, with the intention being that the server should simply
open the data connection on the same client that opened the control
connection. Setting the IP address to 0.0.0.0 can confuse firewalls.

On Cisco IOS release 6.x(x), the PIX fixup protocol for FTP does not allow
the IP address for the data connection to be different from the one already
in use for the control connection. The reason for this is to thwart a hacker
who could use the PORT command to launch an attack on another host. Although
the FTP implementations that set the IP address to 0.0.0.0 are not
intentional hacks, they do trigger a problem with the fixup protocol and
other firewalls that were designed to disallow FTP third-party mode and to
avoid FTP bounce attacks.

You may need to get out a protocol analyzer and determine exactly what is
happening.

Many more details to help you with that in my FTP white paper here:

http://www.troubleshootingnetworks.com/ftpinfo.html

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/about/ac123/ac147/ac174/ac199/about_cisco_ipj_archive_article09186a00800c85a7.html