Hi,

We had a similar issue just a few weeks back.  Our customer outsource thier
firewall to thier ISP and we use NAT for our server.  Switching to passive
mode solved our problem as the server "hands control" over to the client
meaning the client initiates the data session on a not well known port #
returned by the server.  Stateful firewalls then sees the session as being
initiated by an internal client.

Another item we had to overcome at a different client's network is NAV
Internet Gateway software.  We switched to binary mode to overcome this
one.  NAV did not like the padding that occurs with other ftp modes.

Hope this helps,
Paul