As you have seen from the replies this is rather fluid.  Many of the
traditionally set-based switches are now getting software updates that
convert them to IOS switches.  What may be important here that seems to be
missing from the discussion so far is that my CiscoPress CCNP/DP study
material generally equated CLI to Set-Based, not IOS.

""Bill""  wrote in message
I have a simple question.

I am confused about hearing about these three things:
1) IOS-BASED SWITCHES
2) CLI-BASED SWITCHES
3) SET-BASED SWITCHES

Now, can somebody very accurately classify what these mean and categorise
the common switches into the three groups?

Im not even sure if there are 3 groups or only 2. If its 2, then it means
that two of the above groups mean one and the same.

Thank You
Bill