IMHO, uplink just means "connection".  Nothing special.  If we use the term
to mean anything, usually we use it in the context of data flow (i.e. we
would call the port on a closet switch that connects to the distribution
layer switch the "uplink", but also if talking about traffic moving from the
core outward, we may call the port on the core switch/router to the
distribution switch an "uplink" port).  This is more of a day-to-day, casual
conversation usage for me and my co-workers, so it may not apply to many
others.

Back in the day, when using hubs, many times they would have an "uplink"
port, which was essentially a crossed port. (i.e. you could connect the
"uplink" port on one hub using a "regular" ethernet cable to any
"non-uplink" port on another hub.)  So in that sense, uplink really just
means crossed.

With switches, the point is moot.  I've not seen many switches if any
(especially Cisco switches) with an "uplink" port (not saying they don't
exist, just that I haven't seen one).  So basically with switches, just use
a crossover cable and connect any port on switch S to any port on switch R
and you're done!

Mike W.