Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> I agree. Uplink doesn't have a technical meaning. It gets used
> in many ways. I thought he was talking about Cisco's fancy
> Uplink Fast feature at first. Its most common usage is when
> talking about hub ports, as you mentioned below. Some switches
> have uplink ports too. Cisco switch uplink ports are often
> fiber-optic ports, and that's a whole different story that I
> won't get into.

The fiber (uplink) ports (on, say, 1900XLs and 2900XLs) are a perfect
example of what we're talking about.  To the switch, it's just another
100Base-FX port, with no concern as to whether it's "uplinked" to another
switch or router, or even to a server with a 100Base-FX NIC.

> Usually an uplink port is not crossed, I thought.
>
> A hub or switch must do a cross-over internally at each normal
> (network) port to make sure TX gets to RX and RX gets to TX.
>
> An uplink port is not crossed, however.

I believe you are correct here.  I said something that didn't represent what
I was thinking.  My thought was that normally you connected an end-device to
a hub with a straight-through cable, whereas to connect a "regular" hub port
to another "regular" hub port would need a crossover, and a connection to a
"uplink" hub port wouldn't.

Oh well.... it's all the same.....

Thanks!
Mike W.