Good morning,

I’m working on multicast scenarios at home in preparation for the CCNP
switching exam. I feel comfortable and can make work most of the concepts
work, but I’m having difficulty with the PIM sparse and sparse-dense modes.

I have a setup like this;

Sender --E-- Cat5000 --FE-- 2620 --S-- 2514 --E-- 1912 --E— Receiver

E stands for Ethernet, FE for fast and S for serial.

The sender is a multicast server sending out a stream via Windows Media
Server on .Net.  The receiver is an XP pro client.  When I configure all the
router ports as dense-mode I’m successful connecting to the streaming video
from the client.  However, when I try using either the sparse or
sparse-dense mode, I’m having trouble understanding the RP concept as
explained in the CiscoPress books or CCO. Of course the client cannot see
the video stream. I know that I have to define an RP server or use AutoRP
but I can’t quite figure out how.

Help?

Richard Burdette