Richard Burdette wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I’m working on multicast scenarios at home in preparation for
> the CCNP switching exam. I feel comfortable and can make work
> most of the concepts work, but I’m having difficulty with the
> PIM sparse and sparse-dense modes.
>
> I have a setup like this;
>
> Sender --E-- Cat5000 --FE-- 2620 --S-- 2514 --E-- 1912 --E—
> Receiver
>
> E stands for Ethernet, FE for fast and S for serial.
>
> The sender is a multicast server sending out a stream via
> Windows Media Server on .Net.  The receiver is an XP pro
> client.  When I configure all the router ports as dense-mode
> I’m successful connecting to the streaming video from the
> client.  However, when I try using either the sparse or
> sparse-dense mode, I’m having trouble understanding the RP
> concept as explained in the CiscoPress books or CCO. Of course
> the client cannot see the video stream. I know that I have to
> define an RP server or use AutoRP but I can’t quite figure out
> how.
>
> Help?
>
> Richard Burdette

It's easier than you think.  Every Sparse Mode router needs to know the RP.
So on your 2514, you need 'ip pim rp-address x.x.x.x' where x.x.x.x is the
address of your 2620.   The 2620 needs the same command so that it knows
it's the RP (I think).  Optionally, the 2514 could be the RP.  It doesn't
matter.  The RP only sets up the initial state.  Cisco routers by default
join the shortest path tree to the source after receiving the first mcast
packet via the shared tree.  In your topology, both the shared and shortest
path trees are the same, so it doesn't really matter.  All an RP does is
allow sources to register their mcast offerings, and allows receivers to
find those sources and join the group.  Once receivers have joined the
group, they can join towards the source directly and the RP is (usually) no
longer in the path.