Yes, it is an Internet ASBR, there are others, and its only purpose is to
advertise a default route + local DMZ into OSPF.  The ASBR would get a
default route from BGP.  In turn the ISP is advertising a default route via
BGP into the outside router.  The plan is that if the ISP stops advertising
at this point, then the default route advertisement from one of the other
ISP connection points will take over.  I see it that it really depends on
how much equipment is between the real backbone and the ISP connection.

""Howard C. Berkowitz""  wrote in message
At 6:56 PM +0000 1/26/03, Steve Ringley wrote:
>I understand that there are many ways to, umm, do you-know-what to the cat,
>but what I am looking for is a higher guiding philosophy or rule to use as
>foundation to guide the rest of the process.  My understanding of the
>high-level OSPF process is that OSPF wants to route traffic from area a to
>area b via area 0.  This in turn in part is why having destinations like
the
>server farm in area 0 is bad in my mind.

Completely true.

>Given that process, should OSPF
>have an area between area 0 and the ASBR point, or does it internally treat
>the ASBR as another area thus meaning the ASBR can be directly with area 0.

Again, it depends on several factors.  Is the ASBR going to the
Internet?  Is there more than one point of connection to the Internet?

How much external information are you going to leak into your IGP?
Just closest-exit default? Preferential default depending on
provider?  If you have multiple connection points, what's the cost of
internal bandwidth?

IN GENERAL, I put Internet ASBRs in Area 0.0.0.0, but I've also put
them elsewhere for policy- and requirement-specific reasons. There
really is no general rule for the real world.