Thanx,
for instant reply.
I am referring to have same ip on the serial interfaces of client router.
Again I will show u my topolgy

client-routerserver-router(isp)
2serial intf                           2 serial intf
serial 0 -ip add- 1.1.1.1             serial 0  ip add- 1.1.1.2
serial 1 -ip add- 1.1.1.1             serial 1  ip add- 1.1.1.2

I am using here duplicate ips on serial interfaces, is  this connection
correct or what design issues this has.

We can use dulicate ip on serial with themselves but not duplicate with
ethernet or loopback why ? any reason.
----------------------------------

Mark Tinka wrote:

> i am not sure i understand your question, but from what u are
> saying, u want your central and client router to have the same
> IP address on their serial interfaces... why would u want
> that.. just having the IP address in the same subnet should do
> e.g 1.1.1.0/30 ...
>
> anyway, i think u may have a routing issue.. since 1.1.1.1/24
> is directly connected on both routers, how would u tell the
> local router that 1.1.1.1/24 is on the other [destination
> router] side of the serial link, yet it knows its a local
> address...?..
>
> please provide more information for the solution u need, and we
> can help work with something more scalable..
>
> good luck..

-------------------------------------
Hi All,
I have very simple question, Can we use duplicate ips on serial interfaces
among them seleves although we cannot use duplicate ip on serial with
Ethernet(lan interface) or loopback interface.

My topology is like this

Client router server router(connected back to back)
2 interfaces 2 inetrfaces

these routers connected back to back

configuration
int serial 0/0
encap hdlc
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

int serial 0/1
ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
encap hdlc

now if all the two interfaces of serial even if given duplicate ip among
themselves works fine. no error from cli .interfaces are up
and i am able to ping remote side.

The ques is that

1) Lan interface also was in different subnet but serial interface
doesnot accept that ips as duplicate or of loopback

2)What Implication such have on my design ,any limitation it has

Does this type of design can be used,

This is small thing is confusing me about ip.

Thanx in advance