Since there isn't enough details and the answers to Priscilla's questions
would help us.  I'll continue the speculative guessing game with a few spare
minutes.....

When I read the description I thought Jason meant that he made (one) request
to a webserver which was taking a VERY long time to complete.  11 minutes
later this request "failed" as per some message from the web browser.

Guessing Scenarios:
1)The request being made to the server was really an http upload of a file
and transferring the file was taking a long time.  Do you see mid to high
levels of network activity to/from the endhost running the web browser?
2)The request required backend operations by the webserver which were
particularly weighty for this specific request.  Is this specific request a
particularly big query?  Do similar queries over smaller time periods,
datasets, or whatever dimension (you have to scale down the workload) also
take this long?

Have you checked server logs?  I assumed this only happens for a specific
type or subset of the queries you launch so there should be something to
point you in the right direction.
Also the specific timeout on the client side(web browser) would be helpful.
Is it the tcp session which is dropping, an error message delivered from the
webserver due to an application timeout, ...

Best of Luck,
Darrell

Netswitch Technology Management
http://www.netswitch.net