Someone told me in an authoritative voice today that Cisco doesn't recommend
their IDS. They recommend Snort. Is this really true? Isn't Cisco's IDS a
big part of SAFE?

Of course, the person who said this doesn't understand that Cisco is a huge,
chaotic organism, and that saying Cisco does something based on what one
person does, doesn't make sense.

But I'm just curious, what do you all recommend for intrusion detection? How
do Snort and Cisco IDS compare? I guess Cisco's solution is a bit more
complicated, requiring appliances or IDS cards in a switch and a console:

Cisco Secure IDS Director—HP OpenView Network Node Manager "plug-in" that
runs on UNIX (Solaris and HP-UX)

Cisco Secure Policy Manager (v2.2+)—Windows NT-based package

Thanks.

Priscilla