I have to concur with Anan with how nice the new interfaces are to
maneuver.  Last week I had the pleasure of taking the new IDS course version
3.0 and had a chance to work with the parts.  They were fairly easy to learn
and produce results.  If you only have a few sensors the IEV (IDS Event
Viewer) seemed to be fairly logical.  If you have a combination of host
based sensors (Entercept), appliances (solaris based), the 65xx blade sensor
(similar to a well known operating system), PIX and IOS based IDS the
information can all be funneled into the CW2K VMS pluggin.  From what I
learned you do not need to already have CW2K.  The package installs the
"common services" so that you can manage everything from it.

Knowing that the appliance works on a unix platform it may well be very
similiar to SNORT.  It would be nice to hear from someone that has used both
to see if this is a fair statement.

I have not worked with SNORT and will be the last person to say it is not
useful.  Over the next few months I may venture to learn it so I can make an
informed decision.

But over all coming from a "void of IDS knowledge" standpoint, I did find
Cisco's product fairly easy to set up and use.

Kim