From: Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 10:37 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: access-group difference [7:62769]

This must be on PIX? The syntax isn't quite right for IOS.

Ismail Al-Shelh wrote:

> Can someone explain the difference between the following
> access-group
> commands and the impact of each access-list binded with those
> interfaces?
>
> access-list acl_in permit tcp any any

The "acl_in" is just a name for the access list. You can call it anything
you want. This is permitting TCP with any source and destination address.

> access-group acl_out in interface outside

This wouldn't do anything because the name "acl_out" doesn't exist. Was that
a typo?

> and
>
> Access-list acl_in permit tcp any any
> access-group acl_in in interface inside

PIX access lists are always for traffic coming into the specified interface,
from what I can tell. The "in interface" is part of the comamnd. It's not
optional. So, do you want to permit TCP traffic coming into the outside
interface, or do you want to permit TCP traffic coming into the inside
interface? "Coming into" refers to traffic from the connected network
entering the interface, as opposed to traffic sent by the interface, which
would be "out" on Cisco IOS.

Your fist example permits TCP coming into the outside interface. The second
example permits traffic coming into the inside interface.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
www.troubleshootingnetworks.com
www.priscilla.com