Let me try to help you,

"Access-group x in interface inside" means, apply x access-list restriction
to all traffice entering the inside interface (AKA outbound traffic)
"Access-group y in interface outside" means, apply y access-list restriction
to all traffic entering the outside interface (AKA inbound traffic)

Why can you apply in and out ACLs to any interface? this makes sense in
three or more interface firewalls,the trick is that you could have traffic
coming from the inside interface and going to the outside network OR going
to another interface's network, that is basically the differece. Same thing
happens with the traffic coming from the outside network, its destination
could be the inside network, which is for sure in the case of two interfaces
firewall, BUT, its destination could also be, lets say, the DMZ network, in
the case of a three interface firewall.

That's why you need out and in ACLs on every interface.

About what you say:
> If both commands acess-group in interface inside and access-group in
> interface outside meant for the inbound traffic then why Cisco experts
> designed the two commands for the same result !

Each command applies to different traffic, the first is for outbound and the
second for inbound.

Regards,

Jose
""Ismail Al-Shelh""  escribis en el mensaje