I frequently have trouble when I go from hdlc to ppp. Usually it's
something I didn't configure with the ppp. I take one command out at a
time that I added until things come back up. I start with removing ppp
multilink.

also you may want to turn on some debugs

debug dialer
debug ppp negot
debug ppp authen

Debbie