From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 10:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: ISS Real Secure Vs Cisco IDS [7:63461]

As with most things, you need to way up costs againts your requirements.  IN
our case, security is absolutely essential, so having a multivendor security
solutions (and indeed fully redundant) is costly, but we see it as
justified.

With regards to action during attacks etc.  We mostly rely on manual actions
as we dont want to inadvertently block legitimate traffic (for example if an
attack came from a spoofed IP). For automatic action, you can make use of
Ciso Policy manage, which has the ability to dynamically rewrite ACL's, on
Pix's, Routers, and indeed Cat's.  according to data from IDS.  So for
example, if you where really paraniod (like we are),. you could have pix's
as the first firewall, with IDS on the inside / dmz etc (using IDSM or
standalone IDS), tie these together with Policy manager .. then taking a
further step into your network, a set of Nokia Fw1 NG, along with further
Nokia IDS solutions on the inside, and tied together using the enterprisef
software!