I tried to achieve the result - no success; can you give us a tip?

What I did was using a /16 mask on the link between the RIP routers. But
when I use ip ad 200.200.1.1 255.255.255.0 RIP do not run on the interface,
although the interface is showed on the result of show ip protocol.

R1:

inter serial 0.12 point
 ip ad 200.200.1.1 255.255.0.0

R1#sh ip prot
Routing Protocol is "rip"
  Sending updates every 30 seconds, next due in 21 seconds
  Invalid after 180 seconds, hold down 180, flushed after 240
  Outgoing update filter list for all interfaces is not set
  Incoming update filter list for all interfaces is not set
  Redistributing: rip
  Default version control: send version 1, receive version 1
    Interface             Send  Recv  Triggered RIP  Key-chain
    Loopback0             1     1
  Automatic network summarization is not in effect
  Maximum path: 4
  Routing for Networks:
    1.0.0.0
    200.201.0.0
  Routing Information Sources:
    Gateway         Distance      Last Update
    192.168.255.6        120      00:03:52
Distance: (default is 120)