Layer 3 switching combines the best of switching and routing in one
platform.  The main advantage here is speed.  The way it works is, in a
switch you have some kind of layer 3 routing engine (aka route processor, or
RP).  For example, the MSFC2 (Multilayer Switch Feature Card 2) is one of
the options available for the Cisco 6500 (and a couple of others, I think)
switches.  When the switch receives a packet bound for a different VLAN, it
sends it to the RP.  The RP makes the routing decision and puts an entry in
the route cache for the switch.  The first packet in a flow is routed and
the rest are switched at wire speed, hence the increase in speed.  That's
kind of a simplified view, but I think it gets the general idea across.  So,
layer 3 switching is both routing and switching, but faster (usually,
anyway).

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]