Charles,

Regarding the meaning of the term "switch",  let me quote a few lines from
my favorite Net Goddess, Radia Perlman.  She wrote the DEC STP protocol and
has been very active in protocol development since day one.  In her book,
Interconnections, she says the following:

"One cynical (and ungrammatical) definition I use for switch is 'a marketing
term that means fast'"   p. 127

She goes on to suggest that the term switch should be used for "a box that
moves data."

She further suggests that we get into the habit of specifying as follows:

Layer 1 switch = hub
Layer 2 switch = bridge
Layer 3 switch = router

Strongly recommend her book.  The lady has a lot of style.

-HTH

-Bob Sinclair
CCIE #10427