At 4:46 PM +0000 2/25/03, Robert Edmonds wrote:
>Layer 3 switching combines the best of switching and routing in one
>platform.

It isn't the best of both worlds, because raw forwarding speed is
frequently not the constraint on real-world network design. From a
cost standpoint, it would be completely insane to put
high-performance devices of this type into branch offices.

Fast is only one component of a design solution.  Before people start
worrying about being wire speed or not, look at the requirements.  If
you choose to put in Gig E simply because your servers can,
hypothetically, service 200 Mbps of traffic and you don't want to use
Etherchannel, it's irrelevant if you can forward at Gig E speed -- it
won't buy you anything. Server interface bandwidth, in my experience,
is far more often to be the limiting factor than delay in the
forwarding elements, be they routers, switches, layer 2 routers,
layer 3 switches, or what have you.

Tailor the platform for the job. For example, the 7200 has a DS-3
interface, but (and I'd have to check on the latest NPE specs),
historically it can't fill that interface.

With typical US pricing, however, the breakeven point between link
cost alone (i.e., not considering additional router interfaces) for
multiple DS-1 versus fractional use of a DS-3 is around 6-7 DS-1's.
That the DS-3 could carry 28 DS-1's if the router could do "wire
speed" is irrelevant to the problem.  Having the ability to
PHYSICALLY INTERFACE to a high-speed facility may be a much more
important cost factor than having that interface run at "wire speed."

There are other approaches to network speedup rather than
accelerating the forwarding rate. I've frequently improved a network
by providing a separate L2 switched LAN for backup or synchronization
among colocated servers, putting an extra NIC into these servers.  We
did this before we knew to call that a Storage Area Network. ;-)