From: Mike Momb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 5:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 10 half or 100 full [7:64482]

To all,

I know this subject has been talked about on a workstation level but I
want
to ask it on a network level.  We recently replaced our Nortel network
with
Cisco switches and we seem to have a slowness level across the network
at
certain times.  We have a raging debate on what speed to set the NIC
cards
and switches.  Some folks say set the switches and PCs at 10mb & half
duplex
and others say set them at 100mb & full duplex and still others say auto
on
both ends should work.  It has been my experience that auto has never
worked
very well.  My question is this, what has been this groups experience on
how
to set the ports for the maximum bandwith.  We are using a combination
of
Cat 5 & Cat 3 cables.   Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
Mike
NOTICE - This message contains privileged and confidential
named above. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
copying, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by person or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender by return email and delete this message.
This message should not be copied or used for any purpose
other than intended, nor should it be disclosed to any
other person. Any views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
 states them to be the view of Investec Group, its
subsidiaries or associates. The Investec Group is not
liable for the security of information sent by e-mail at
your request, nor for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in the communication nor for
any delay in its receipt. Please note that the recipient
must scan this e-mail and any attached files for viruses
and the like. The Investec Group accepts no liability of
whatever nature for any loss, liability, damage or expense
resulting directly or indirectly from the access of any files
which are attached to this message.