DTP uses protocol type 2004 too, just like DISL. I guess it's just an update
to DISL for use with 802.1Q rather than ISL?

And, I figured out why you might want to tell DTP not to autonegotiate or be
desirable and why in that case no VTP domain name is exchanged and the VTP
domain names don't have to match. The main reason is that the other end
might not be Cisco and might not care about VTP anyway. Does that make sense?

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a0080094713.shtml