At 4:36 AM +0000 3/13/03, The Long and Winding Road wrote:
>The problem with this whole discussion is that it focuses around hardware
>that has been defined as something by the manufacturers,  and does not focus
>on function.

I tried. I really tried not to rejoin this never ending thread.

But maybe there's one more contribution.  For those of you that
insist switches route in hardware, and routers route in software, I'd
challenge you to look, in detail, at the hardware used.

Believe it or not, an ASIC of the level of sophistication that can do
forwarding is, in fact, a specialized and to some extent programmable
processor. It might be an architecture simpler than many peoples'
idea of RISC, such as a FPGA or microcode sequencer, but it's still
usually a von Neumann architecture with separate code and execution.
The code may very well be burned into a large integrated chip or
chipset along with the processor, so that instructions are already
decoded and don't need to flow outside the chip.  But it definitely
isn't "pure hardware," whatever that may be.

I can only point to my work on control plane convergence in the IETF
BMWG, and the work in the FORCES WG on control/forwarding plane
separation, to suggest that no serious router designer thinks in
terms of level 3 switches.

It is purely a marketing term, perhaps with some very limited meaning
in describing certain speed/feed/performance/cost regions. It also
may indicate a class of devices that give up other functionality to
get "wire speed forwarding"--and then gets used in environments where
pure forwarding speed is not the make-or-break performance criterion.

I do have a 3 layer CAT switch next to my monitor, which also serves
the higher layer function of scratching post.  At the moment, Ding is
asleep on layer 3, but its layer 2 and 1 are not configured.  Mr.
Clark, who generally exceeds the port size of this switch, is
sleeping in a favorite box on top of a file cabinet.  Rhonda is
perhaps dealing with upper-layer multimedia protocols, as she is
sleeping in the document feeder of the fax machine.