At 05:57 PM 3/14/2003 +0000, Scott Roberts wrote:
> > In the end, the device either routes or bridges the frames it
> > receives, but takes no action that can be distinctly described as layer
> > three switching.
> >
> > Pete
> >

>to my basic understanding ALL routing has a switching component to it
>already, whether we're talking about regular routers or L3 switches. process
>switching, fast switching, autonomous switching, distributed switching,
>etc... are all the ways the packets are moved between interfaces on a
>router. therefore both layer 2 and layer 3 'switch' irregardless of the name
>on the chassis.

I disagree.  You are describing a generic technology with vendor specific
terminology.  How packets move (if they move at all) in a router is an
implementation specific detail (that is to say it's up to the box designer
and internal to the device itself) .

>  I personally view the sole distinction between the standard
routers/bridges
>and the multilayer switches as the use of ASICs.

How a technology is implemented does not change the nature of the
technology itself.  By this definition, I would be curious at what
forwarding rate does a router becomes a switch?   In other words, just
because some IP routers are faster than others does not mean they are not
routers.

Of note, most high end routers implement an all silicon based forwarding
path and few of these folks have branded their routers as switches.