New source port for each outbound FTP connection probably.

Symon

-----Original Message-----
From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 13 March 2003 18:12
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: PIX Question [7:65095]

I don't understand why the xlate table would grow.  I can understand the
connections table growing, sure, but did the PIX really re-translate the
same internal address over 7000 times in just  few minutes?

John

>>> Scott Roberts 3/13/03 11:08:29 AM >>>
strange that it would create another translation instead of using the
old one?? I suppose its more an error in the client software thinking it
still has a valid server connection and tries to open a brand new one
then.

the only thing that comes to my mind would be to expire your
translations faster, but I've never done this, so I don't even know if
its possible.

scott

""Manny""  wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I ran into a situation today where we had a machine that was trying to

> FTP through the firewall. We allow FTP outbound. The problem that came

> up was that the user had no idea that an FTP client was setup on his
> machine. The FTP client (spyware) kept trying to connect to a server
> (ispynow.com)
using
> the incorrect user name and password. For every attempt an xlate entry

> was created. It created about 7000 entries in a matter of minutes. The
firewall
> was paralyzed. I had to console in and look at the xlate table. Even
through
> the console I had a hard time viewing the table. Is there any way to
prevent
> this from happening again?This is the second time this year an
> incident of this nature with the xlate table has occurred. How can I
> monitor the xlate table for strange behavior?

 This email has been content filtered and
 subject to spam filtering. If you consider
 this email is unsolicited please forward
 the email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and
 request that the sender's domain be
 blocked from sending any further emails.