Rule of Thumb for VoIP:

1) If the link speed is T1 or better use G.711 codec which uses 64kb per
call (also refer to as a voice flow).  If the link speed is less than T1 use
G .729 which use 8kb per call or similar codec with built in compression.

2) QoS.  VoIP is successful when the delay is small and constant (Jitter).
G.114 defines an acceptable one way end to end delay of 0 - 150ms.  Delays
as high as 400ms might be tolerated if both parties are aware of the
problem.  There are many factors involved in a delay budget: Processing,
Serialization, and Propagation.  This refers to the time it takes to
digitize the voice waveform , put into a packet and transfer the packet to
an interface and send the packet across the network where the packet is
converted back into an close copy of the original analog waveform.  As you
can see VoIP dictates small packets with a little delay as possible and that
the packets arrive in a steady, constant flow.  Which brings up Jitter.
Jitter is when the delay is not constant. The conversation becomes choppy
because the voice packets arrive at a different spacing than they were
spoken by the sender. Voice packets are best effort and never retransmit a
packet.

3) Packet size. Data likes large packets, is more tolerant of delays and
jitter, but all packets must be received.  Dropping packets leads to data
corruption, so retransmitting packets are allowed. To minimized delay and
reduce Jitter, change the MTU to allow voice to flow and not get stuck
behind large data packets.

David L. Blair

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]