From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
The Long and Winding Road
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 1:14 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: OSPF Topology Question - Parkhurst's Book [7:65532]

Ran into something in Parkhurst's OSPF book while studying tonight.
Looking
for validation of my observation.

The example: OSPF over frame relay

The topology: hub and spoke, with a twist. The hub uses subinterfaces (
one
to each spoke router ) and the spokes use physical interfaces.

Now, the Parkhurst examples show leaving the physical interfaces as ospf
type non-broadcast, change the ospf timers on the subinterfaces, place
neighbor statements on the spoke routers ( physical interfaces ) and all
is
well.

Except I don't believe it works this way.

The subinterfaces are point-to-point networks, and expect the other side
be a point-to-point connection and adjacency. the physical interfaces
are
non-broadcast, and expect DR elections to occur, something the router
with
the subinterfaces will not do.

I believe the correct solution is to make the physical interfaces ospf
type
point-to-multipoint.

An alternative is to change the physical interfaces to ospf
point-to-point.

In any case - can anyone else verify what I see and do not see - that
Parkhurst chapter 11, example 3, pages 275-279 answer is incomplete?

thanks.

--
TANSTAAFL
"there ain't no such thing as a free lunch"