Eric,

The gratuitous ARP is just to let the switch or bridge know that the port
that the virtual MAC is attached to has changed.

If an existing router is converted to HSRP, then the end stations will
continue to track the real MAC address, not the virtual one. You have to
reboot the end stations or otherwise clear their ARP caches to get them to
use the virtual MAC.

Help any?
Karen