On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:38:10 +0200
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> STREAM support is long awaited feature by me. Unfortunately it seems
> badly designed.

The idea of the protocol is based on OpenAntiVirus ScannerDaemon's POST
command, with some enhancements.

> Current protocol is:
> - connect with default clamav port (command connection)
> - send STREAM uppercase
> - clamd returns port number
> - we connect with that number and send data to be scanned there (data
> connection)

That's it.

> Problems are:
> - if we want to scan few files we need to connect to reconnect to
> command connection every time, too - why? Why no multiple STREAM
> commands allowed?

Do you mean STREAM should support an optional argument for a number of
sockets clamd should start waiting on ? No problem.

> - data port is random so I need to open all ports on my firewall which
> is very

This problem has been already reported a few days ago. The port number
range will be configurable in clamav.conf.

> sad. Instead of this it would be great if I could send data over
> ,,command connection'' and don't use ,,data connection'' at all.

Oh, I don't think this is a good idea - it will make the command socket
a bottleneck because a scan process for may be long and we can't depend
on the backlog argument of the listen() function due to portability
reasons.
> clamscan btw. is missing STREAM mode for multiple files when scanning.
> With

clamscan doesn't connect to clamd at all. clamdscan uses STREAM while
reading from a standard input, but this is not yet fully implemented.
clamdscan will support "remote scanning" (with something like
"--remote-host" option)  soon.

Best regards,
Tomasz Kojm
--