Tomasz Kojm wrote:

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:38:10 +0200
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

STREAM support is long awaited feature by me. Unfortunately it seems
badly designed.

The idea of the protocol is based on OpenAntiVirus ScannerDaemon's POST command, with some enhancements.

Current protocol is:
- connect with default clamav port (command connection)
- send STREAM uppercase
- clamd returns port number
- we connect with that number and send data to be scanned there (data connection)

That's it.

Problems are:
- if we want to scan few files we need to connect to reconnect to
command connection every time, too - why? Why no multiple STREAM
commands allowed?

Do you mean STREAM should support an optional argument for a number of sockets clamd should start waiting on ? No problem.

- data port is random so I need to open all ports on my firewall which
is very

This problem has been already reported a few days ago. The port number range will be configurable in clamav.conf.

sad. Instead of this it would be great if I could send data over
,,command connection'' and don't use ,,data connection'' at all.

Oh, I don't think this is a good idea - it will make the command socket
a bottleneck because a scan process for may be long and we can't depend
on the backlog argument of the listen() function due to portability
reasons.

I really, really dislike this solution which reminds me in some way to the (br0ken) ftp-protocol. A solution like this make any kind of loadbalancing(using a standard TCP balancing solution) nearly impossible. Any chance that this design could be changed to using a single TCP-Port. This would allow use to loadbalance/failover clamd easily between a large number of hosts (just like it's possible with spamd from the spamassassin package today).

Stefan