On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 10:57, Trog wrote:
> But, perhaps it's just me, but I don't quite understand why
> people are writing such scripts instead of spending their effort
> actually trying to fix the problem.

I've had it happen ~3 times in the last year.  Each time it crashes,
there are thousands of messages backed up in the mail queue and upset
customers (understandably) screaming on the phone.  I haven't been able
reproduce the problem in a test environment, so it's hard to provide any
useful data about the lockups.

The script I wrote actually makes sure that the virus db is accessible
and that clamav can successfully identify viruses, so it's useful for
more than just fixing the crashes/lockups under discussion. ;)

The following is composed of wild conjecture and guesses...Just looking
at the symptoms I've seen discussed here, it sounds like something is
happening to cause a clamd child to stop responding and not exit().  And
somehow this child not exit()ing is preventing clamd from spawing more
children.  The symptom being the clamd master running and responding to
pings and a single clamd child that doesn't appear to be responsive.

Is anyone experiencing this with the latest CVS (or at least post Dec 14
2003)?

Cheers,

Mike