On Tuesday 17 February 2004 6:20 pm, Sam Miller wrote:

> I would like to apologize to the list and everyone who has had a problem
> with my posting, evidently due to my unfortunate choice of words. I
> didn't realize a Windows text string in Linux could trigger such a
> reaction.

Not a problem.   The reason your posting triggered ClamAV is that you chose to
include the very string you'd discovered gets matched as a virus.   It's
nothing to do with Windows or Linux - however (as far as I'm aware) not many
virus signatures can be triggered by purely text strings - most need some
binary content in order to avoid precisely this sort of thing.

> If this should happen again to me, how can I post without making this
> happen? Put the words in quotes or something?

No - the quotes would simply be before and after the detected string, making
no difference to the string being detected or not.   You need to make some
change *within* the string - such as Jim Mercer's excellent example of using
a sed substitution to recreate the trigger string from a suitably neutered
version of it.   (If you don't know sed or understand the substitution
example he posted, just try something like I did - put *each* word within
quotes, so that the composite string still doesn't quite match, but is clear
to anyone who reads it.   I prefer Jim's method, however.)

> I'm looking up the information requested about the files right now and
> will forward as soon as possible.

Splendid :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.