Bart Silverstrim wrote:

On Apr 22, 2004, at 1:03 PM, Jon Roland wrote:

As for Linux and Windows, eventually "there can be only one". I prefer it be Linux or its descendant.

As for Chevy and Ford, eventually "there can be only one". I prefer it be Chevy or its descendant.

Operating systems are more like railroad tracks than railroad cars. Once there were different grade tracks, but now variant-grade tracks survive in only a few specialized situations, like mines and amusement parks.

Once there were DC electric transmission lines. Remember beta, or OSI, or vinyl, or CP/M. Yes, there will be diversity in computer choices, but the implementation will become automated,just as much programming has already become modularized and abstracted using IDEs, class libraries and GUI program generators. How many program in binary or assembler any more?

Most of the application software I used to write doesn't get written anymore. It's mostly just modified or reused. Sysadms should not count on having a job for more than a few more years. What can be automated will be automated, and that means almost everything.

-- Jon

Starflight Corporation    7793 Burnet Road #37, Austin, TX 78757
512/374-9585 www.the-spa.com/jon.roland/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: The Robotic Monkeys at ThinkGeek For a limited time only, get FREE Ground shipping on all orders of $35 or more. Hurry up and shop folks, this offer expires April 30th! http://www.thinkgeek.com/freeshipping/?cpg=12297 _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users