This thread on Trojan.JS.RunMe had me thinking: Hourly virus updates is
better than any of the commercial virus scanners, but obviously still has
issues, especially  since a bunch of us obviously submitted updates that had
already been entered.  I gather from these posts that the virusdb's actually
have some form of version number.

Suppose there was a DNS entry, say virusdb.clamav.net (or
version.virusdb.clamav.net, etc), that returned simply a text record with
the current DB version in it. Then, it would be possible to check the
version with a relatively cheap single UDP packet, rather than a full http
check, and people could check for DB updates more often than once an hour
without taxing the distribution system.

If nothing else, if this TXT record existing we could hack together some
shell script to check it and run freshclam as needed.

Just a thought.