On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Lionel Bouton wrote:

> > Another possibility might be to patch the .cvd file(s)....
> >

> That was one proposition I made last year. But in practice it seems there
> isn't really a pressing need now.

If people can't check for database updates more often than once an hour,
then there is a pressing need.

The mirror page talkes about the need for mirrors, about exponential growth,
and how at least a 10mbit pipe is needed to host a mirror. It puts March
2004 traffic at about 120gig/month

Some quick calculations:
daily.cvd is about 150k compressed, 334k uncompressed -- let's say 50%.
Greping the virses added for updated 447 gave me about 3k uncompressed -- so
let's say 2k compressed, on the outside.

For 2k of update, everyone downloaded 150k. That shows (at least for that
update) only 1.3% of what was downloaded was needed.

If only 1.3% of every update is actually needed, and people only downloaded
what they needed, the traffic on the mirrors would drop from 120gig/month to
1.6 gig/month.

If I am completely off by a factor of 10 -- say only 10% of every update
is actually needed, traffic on the mirrors drops from 120gig to 12gig.

There are a lot of assumptions here, but I would think ever reducing the
load on the virus servers by half would be significant.