On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> The only snag, is that TXT record is limited to a number of bytes ( I tried
> putting 4096 bytes on it, it didn't work).
> Now, the question is, can the daily (or hourly) updates fit in a single TXT
> record?

I don't know that putting ALL of the records in DNS is necessary. The only
reason I was  putting the version number there was to allow quick, more
frequent checks to see if you had the current version. It's possible to run
DNS with very short TTL times, even 0.

In terms of load on the servers: a smaller file would certainly help. I can
see the simplicity of just haveing two files to grab being attractive.
However, daily.cfg is now about 150k .  I don't consider this big in the
scheme of things, but if we are talking about hundreds or thousands of
people trying to get the file, then the difference could be significant.

Suppose there was a numbered file for each version that would 'upgrade' you
from the previous version.  IE, if I'm at 444, and current is 445, I grab
445.cvd.  If I'm at 440, I grab 441.cvd, 442.cvd, through 445.cvd.

Downside -- obviously harder to maintain.  Upside -- someone who is staying
constantly up to date is grabbing only a few bytes off the server at a time.

I think this is simpler than putting all the data into DNS.

I've also thought about rsync -- if putting the cvd files on an rsync server
would lighten the load at all.