Ralph Angenendt wrote:

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

Isn't LGPL more suitable for libraries?

Why should it be? *IF* the authors chose to license it to you in a way, which *only* allows you to incorporate it into Programs with GPL compatible licenses, it should be respected.

Forget my comment on GPL/LGPL. I mistook the "L" for "Library" instead of "Lesser"

- 1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium ...
He didn't distribute it. He just use it

He uses it in a program. He has to load it somehow.

How is his using clamavdb (but does not distribute it), be different from hosting appliances (Ensim, CPanel, etc) which uses numerous open source programs on Linux (apache, mysql, and even clamav) but does not distribute it? I don't see Ensim released as GPL.

He has to link the database *somehow* into his program. Look up what the GPL has to say about that.

And: Hey, if you do not like the license of a program - do not use it.
It is simple as that. If you want to use it - fulfill the license.

Ralph

He has to LOAD it, yes, but he did not LINK it.
Unless my understanding of LINK is wrong.

And: Hey, if you do not like the license of a program - do not use it.
It is simple as that. If you want to use it - fulfill the license.

Sure. I'm not arguing about that :)

I'm reading the license word-by-word, trying to find where it says
you must also release your program under GPL in this particular case.

Linking, in my understanding, falls into the category of "modify your copy or copies".
But in this case, his program (or any third party program that might use clamav db)
does not distribute the database, does not modify it, only uses it.

Unless you count loading the data into memory (reading, putting in a private structure, etc)
as modifying.

Regards,

Fajar.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: YOU BE THE JUDGE. Be one of 170 Project Admins to receive an Apple iPod Mini FREE for your judgement on who ports your project to Linux PPC the best. Sponsored by IBM. Deadline: Sept. 24. Go here: http://sf.net/ppc_contest.php _______________________________________________ Clamav-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/clamav-users