Hi

Niek wrote:
On 10/21/2004 1:21 AM +0200, Dave P wrote:

I am trying to convince my company to switch to open
source where possible. It is much easier if the
software has been evaluated by an independent group.
Unfortunately, reviews that I could find, including
GMX Systematic and Heise magazines, were negative. The
opinion seemed to be summed up by Andreas Marx's (of
AV-Test.Org) comments to the 2004 Virus Bulletin
Conference where he said that results of a particular
test were not available for "ClamAV, because a large
number of files in our test set are still not
detected."

Are there any independent tests out there that do not
paint such a bleak picture? Are there any plans to
submit ClamAV or ClamWin to Virus Bulletin?

Dave

Hi,

I'm pretty independent.
Clamav is meant as a MTA virus scanner.
And at that it does a top job on my production servers.
I don't need a commercial product scanning mail any more.
So, the only window of opportunity for viruses is between
the time of outbreak, till there are defs available.
And even at that, clamav usually beats the commercial products.

If you want to convince your boss, ask him if he'll agree to this.
Setup clam on your MTA, and after clam has scanned it, let your
preferred commercial virus scanner scan the mail.
Anything that arrives at the commercial scanner, clamav thought was
clean.

Right.Put ClamAV on front and commercial scanner on back ;-)
ClamAV do not recognize many polymorphic malwares, but today there are not so many such malwares ;-)

Regards
Boguslaw